- OUR SCHOOL
- ACADEMIC PROGRAM
- NEWS & EVENTS
- FAMILY RESOURCES
- ENROLL A STUDENT
- EAST HARLEM TUTORIAL PROGRAM
- GET INVOLVED
English Language Arts
- Words Their Way (Pearson), taught during an intensive daily word study block, is used to teach students phonics, vocabulary and spelling to reinforce their literacy development. Teachers will monitor students’ progress to inform instruction during the reading block.
- Guided Reading provides small groups of readers the opportunity to work intensively with their teacher to master reading strategies and consistently become better readers.
- Scott Foresman Reading Street (Pearson), used as a curricular supplement, further reinforces literacy instruction in whole and intensive small groups, emphasizing phonological and phonemic awareness, letter recognition, high frequency words, handwriting, guided daily reading lessons, reading skills and strategies, and writer’s workshop. The core emphasis is on continuous progress monitoring and the development of explicit plans for managing small student groups and supporting ELL students.
- Everyday Mathematics (University of Chicago Mathematics Project/McGraw-Hill), taught during the 90-minute mathematics block, utilizes a variety of whole-class, small group and self-directed instruction to meet the learning needs of students. Daily activities include direct teacher instruction enhanced by interactive, hands-on exploration and long-term projects to reinforce rich mastery of concepts. This curriculum supports literacy development and language acquisition for our ELL learners by emphasizing opportunities for students to verbalize their mathematical thinking and understanding of the strategies.
- The Delta Science Modules series is uniquely designed to compliment our scholars’ natural curiosity about the world around them. The series utilizes multiple modules to teach life science, physical science and earth science concepts in a fun and engaging way. Scholars investigate these concepts using a combination of hands-on activities and exciting reading materials that bring the concepts to life. The modules support our scholars to dive into the world of scientific inquiry and discovery.
- East Harlem Scholars Academy teaching staff members design the dynamic social studies curriculum. Guided by the belief that our scholars’ community is at the heart of their learning experience, the social studies program provides rich exploration into the concepts of family, community, culture and global understanding. Social Studies units provide scholars with a strong foundation to develop the skills and competencies necessary for understanding and thriving in the global and interconnected world of the 21st century.
- We provide a vibrant music program to enrich the sensory experiences of our students. Additionally, all students participate in a fun and invigorating physical education program designed to ensure that students enjoy healthy bodies along with healthy minds. Students participate in a variety of team and individual sports, dance activities and games.
- All students receive daily instruction in Spanish with the goal that they will be proficient in both English and Spanish by the 5th grade. Students will deliver an academic presentation comfortably in both languages to demonstrate their proficiency.
- Classrooms are fully equipped with computers to provide students with access to computer-based literacy and mathematics learning materials. Students will develop proficiency in Internet research, word processing and basic computer knowledge.